We picked up some fresh ingredients, a beautiful head of butter lettuce, some smallish yams, butternut squash, 2 firm persimmons, and some meat. We were hoping to obtain a nice chuck roast but they were frozen and we needed a small, marbled, fresh cut of beef. It was pretty cool knowing that Virginia was very well versed in cuts of meat and was pretty particular with her request. I think the guy knew cause after we walked away the butcher, he came and found us in the crowd to interest us in a nice cut of marbled sirloin. We took him up on his offer and found out we wouldnt be disappointed later!
On the menu was Lentil& Carrott Soup, Beef Stew, & Butternut Squash Soup.
We met back at my place and got started with a few things, roasting the root veggies, cutting up leeks and the sirloin.
Probably the biggest tip I took away from the day was learning that my non-stick cookware was not the best of choices for browning meat. Good to know (and a good excuse to buy a new skillet!)
After browning the meat we sauteed the leeks, added the red wine and broth, brought to a boil, added the herbs and meat and let simmer.
We washed the lentils and added 6 C of water and let them simmer for bit. We also added a quartered onion, carrots, and some whole garlic cloves. The lentils we used were different that Virginia was used to using and to her surprise, soaked up quite a bit of the liquid - so we added a bit more to make it a little more brothy.
We sat down and enjoyed our soups. After the first course, we made the persimmon, toasted hazelnut and butter leaf salad to serve with the stew.
I was so glad we finally were able to do the class; it was enjoyable, I learned quite a bit, and gained more confidence in the kitchen. And the company was great. (P.S. Mia requested the lentil soup in her lunch this week! That was an added bonus!)
1 comment:
Yum, so sad I had to miss. I may have to steal the recipes instead. Esp., that butternut squash soup!
Post a Comment