I dont travel much anymore, much less without kids. So this trip is a treat. As usual, must hit the hay soon since I'm planning to get up at 645a to go running which is 345a PST.
Flying Virgin was cool. I had a better experience on KLM Business Class but it was pretty close. Food not as great.
Arriving into Dulles Airport, I searched for the unique terminal that I remembered going to as a little girl. I remembered distinctly the sloping swooping reverse arches with the huge windows looking out onto the tarmac and gates. We frequented there dropping Dad off / picking him up as he went on his TDY travels when he was a USAF Major. I also recalled a walkway/breezeway that took you to your plane. I vaguely recalled them being mobile but I think as I was older, I figured that seemed more like an incorrect memory and was actually just the walkway like you would see at any other airport.
As we taxied to the gate, i spotted the terminal building and instantly I smiled as I was transported back 40 years to a place I had been so long ago. Yes, it all did exist and here I was again, at Delles Airport. As we got closer to the gate, I saw a strange looking vehicle/shuttler and realized that this was the transporter I thought only existed in my mind. The mobile lounger. Wow, it too was real. That was it. So unreal but at the same time so surreal. DC - I was 5 years old all over again.
Sonoma was the restaurant - good menu. meatballs were good.
I had the boston bibb salad - grilled figs, ricotta, crumbled brioche, toasted walnuts, vincotto 11 along with housemade meatballs and creamy polenta. I didn't really enjoy the grappa marinated pears 8 italian almond crumb cake, homemade créme fraîche, tarragon. too many bizarre flavors for a dessert that weren't sweet enough. But i managed to eat it all. I paired it with a hook & ladder “the tillerman” 06 | russian river valley [cabernet sauvignon : cabernet franc : sangiovese : merlot] tates $5.5 glass $11 bottle $42. Very nice.
The room at the Capitol Hill Suites is really nice, especially with the small kitchen - since I'm pumping & storing this is great. Hopefully I'll get to transport this all back to oakland.
I'm running in the AM so i better get some shut eye or I"ll be useless in tomorrows meeting. Can't wait to see the sights. Hopefully the weather will be in the upper 30s!
No comments:
Post a Comment