Monday, May 21, 2007

2 month checkup

Miguel had his 2 month checkup today. He was pretty laid back for the visit. He is really a mellow little guy - he has his moments of course but overall, he's only fussy when he's trying to tell us something. I'm starting to figure out his different cries. One today was definately the "that really hurts!!" cry when they stuck him on the legs for his vaccinations. Poor little guy - luckily he recovered quickly and was soon comfortably nursing. He fell asleep shortly after that. Dr Damon, my favorite doctor, just doted after Miguel. A few comments on his weight - he's a big guy - she said he's not a fatty but she laughed when she said he was at the 90th percentile for weight (13lbs 10oz). 55th for height at 23" but Dr. Damon thinks the nurse jipped him on his height measurement. Although I saw her measure him and he was pretty stretched out. His head circumference was aobut 14" and he was 40th for that.

Big discussion on getting him to sleep more. Miguel isn't the big evening sleeper, probably cause his parents are couch potatoes after 7pm and dont put him down properly. instead we hold him on the couch and play with him, trying to get him to sleep but mostly just waiting until his next feeding then hoping he'll go down after that. So Dr. D told me that after Miguel has been up for an hour, start to look for signs of drowsiness and take advantage of that little 15 min window where we can probably get him to go down. So I tried it tonight and it worked. Got him to go to sleep at 10pm. Of course I should be sleeping now since he'll be up in a hour to feed. Or maybe not, we'll have to see how the night goes.

Miguel's motor development is really taking off. He's a really strong baby, has great head control, can put weight on his legs when you hold his arms, and lately he's grasping more and more at toys. I call the 2 little toys that hang from his car seat handle, Mr. Blue and Mr. Yellow. They're little stuffed faces with rings that hang from them. Miguel swats at them when he's in the car seat and we've found him holdin gon to both of the rings while sleeping. He looks so cute!
Yesterday he started grabbing a block - it was fasciniating to watch him keep at it - he wanted to grab that block and finally he did it!

He still loves the black/white pictures next to the changing table. It's as if all those little animals are his buds. He looks over at the giraffe face and the sun picture and just smiles and smiles and coos at them.

He really is a joy to watch. I'm looking for childcare and already starting to get worried thinking about how much I will miss him during the day. I'm still keeping an open mind about the whole work thing. So far I haven't found anyting that really suits my needs - i want a small space and most places have 6-8 kids... or we could go the nanny route if I had a $1700/month to spend...

Got to ride my bike this weekend. Great ride, a little tiring at the end. I had Steve pick me up rather than finish with the 2 hills - made all the difference in the world. Good ride, about 18 miles which took about 1:40.

No comments: